|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|Without Conscience: The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us
Lowest new price: $9.99
Lowest used price: $4.70
List price: $17.95
Author: Robert D. Hare
Most people are both repelled and intrigued by the images of cold-blooded, conscienceless murderers that increasingly populate our movies, television programs, and newspaper headlines. With their flagrant criminal violation of society's rules, serial killers like Ted Bundy and John Wayne Gacy are among the most dramatic examples of the psychopath. Individuals with this personality disorder are fully aware of the consequences of their actions and know the difference between right and wrong, yet they are terrifyingly self-centered, remorseless, and unable to care about the feelings of others. Perhaps most frightening, they often seem completely normal to unsuspecting targets--and they do not always ply their trade by killing. Presenting a compelling portrait of these dangerous men and women based on 25 years of distinguished scientific research, Dr. Robert D. Hare vividly describes a world of con artists, hustlers, rapists, and other predators who charm, lie, and manipulate their way through life. Are psychopaths mad, or simply bad? How can they be recognized? And how can we protect ourselves? This book provides solid information and surprising insights for anyone seeking to understand this devastating condition.
"Psychopaths are social predators who charm, manipulate, and ruthlessly plow their way through life, leaving a broad trail of broken hearts, shattered expectations, and empty wallets. Completely lacking in conscience and in feelings for others, they selfishly take what they want and do as they please..." In Without Conscience Robert Hare argues convincingly that "psychopath" and "antisocial personality disorder" (a psychiatric term defined by a cluster of criminal behaviors) are not the same thing. Not all psychopaths are criminals, he says, and not all criminals are psychopaths. He proposes a psychopathy checklist that includes emotional/interpersonal traits such as glibness, grandiosity, lack of guilt, and shallow emotions, as well as social deviance traits such as impulsiveness, lack of responsibility, and antisocial behavior. His writing is lucid and illustrated with numerous anecdotes. The final chapter, "A Survival Guide," is especially recommended: as Hare writes, "Psychopaths are found in every segment of society, and there is a good chance that eventually you will have a painful or humiliating encounter with one."
|Digital Evidence and Computer Crime, Third Edition: Forensic Science, Computers, and the Internet
Lowest new price: $46.42
Lowest used price: $31.87
List price: $69.95
Author: Eoghan Casey BS MA
Digital Evidence and Computer Crime, Third Edition provides the knowledge necessary to uncover and use digital evidence effectively in any kind of investigation. The widely-adopted first and second editions introduced thousands of students to this field and helped them deal with digital evidence. This completely updated edition provides the introductory materials that new students require, and also expands on the material presented in previous editions to help students develop these skills. The textbook teaches how computer networks function, how they can be involved in crimes, and how they can be used as a source of evidence. Additionally, this third edition includes updated chapters dedicated to networked Windows, Unix, and Macintosh computers, and Personal Digital Assistants.
Ancillary materials include an Instructor's Manual and PowerPoint slides.
- Named The 2011 Best Digital Forensics Book by InfoSec Reviews
- Provides a thorough explanation of how computers & networks function, how they can be involved in crimes, and how they can be used as evidence
- Features coverage of the abuse of computer networks and privacy and security issues on computer networks
Practitioner's Tips from Digital Evidence and Computer Crime's Chapter on Digital Evidence in the Courtroom
- In practice, many searches are conducted with consent. One of the biggest problems with consensual searches is that digital investigators must cease the search when the owner withdraws consent. However, digital investigators may be able to use the evidence gathered from a consensual search to establish probable cause and obtain a search warrant.
- Once a search warrant is obtained, there is generally a limited amount of time to execute the search. Therefore, it is prudent to obtain a search warrant only after sufficient preparations have been made to perform the search in the allotted time period. Any evidence obtained under an expired search warrant may not be admissible.
- Many digital investigators use the terminology “is consistent with” inappropriately to mean that an item of digital evidence might have been due to a certain action or event. For many people, to say that something is consistent with something else means that the two things are identical, without any differences. To avoid confusion, digital investigators are encouraged only to state that something is consistent with something else if the two things are the same and to otherwise use the terminology “is compatible with.”
- Given the complexity of modern computer systems, it is not unusual for digital investigators to encounter unexpected and undocumented behaviors during a forensic analysis of digital evidence. Such behaviors can cause unwary digital investigators to reach incorrect conclusions that can have a significant impact on a case, sometimes leading to false accusations. Thorough testing with as similar an environment to the original as possible can help avoid such mistakes and resolve differences in interpretation of digital evidence. Provided digital investigators can replicate the actions that led to the digital evidence in question, they can generally agree on what the evidence means. When it is not possible to replicate the exact environment or digital evidence under examination, digital investigators may need to rely on their understanding of the systems involved, which is where differences of opinion can arise.
- Careful use of language is needed to present digital evidence and associated conclusions as precisely as possible. Imprecise use of language in an expert report can give decision makers the wrong impression or create confusion. Therefore, digital investigators should carefully consider the level of certainty in their conclusions and should qualify their findings and conclusions appropriately.
Read a sample chapter on genesis and migration from Digital Evidence and Computer Crime
Lowest new price: $117.99
Lowest used price: $56.14
List price: $218.95
Author: Solomon M. Fulero
Written by two of the leading authorities in the field, FORENSIC PSYCHOLOGY, Third Edition introduces you to the practice of forensic psychology by showing how psychologists aid the legal system by serving as expert witnesses, criminal profilers, and trial consultants for jury selection and child custody hearings. Wrightsman and Fulero present the roles and responsibilities of forensic psychologists, and address both the opportunities and temptations inherent in those roles. Through this lens, the authors explore the ethical issues facing practicing forensic psychologists, such as promising clients too much, the possibility of becoming advocates rather than objective scientists, and the pitfalls associated with substituting one's values for data. The authors provide an accurate and candid picture of the field, and the range of careers in forensic psychology.
|Applied Sport Psychology: Personal Growth to Peak Performance
Lowest new price: $96.15
Lowest used price: $73.50
List price: $99.99
Author: Jean Williams
Drawing upon the expertise of more than twenty leaders of their fields, this is a comprehensive and practical guide to psychological concepts and theories as well as to strategies and techniques designed to help future coaches and sport psychologists cultivate peak performance and personal growth through recent advances in sport psychology. The text's four-part organization focuses on motivation and leadership, social interactions, mental training, program implementation, and issues that go beyond performance enhancement. Contributing authors are experts in their topic, and each chapter has been written specifically for this collection.
|Wrightsman's Psychology and the Legal System
Lowest new price: $79.99
Lowest used price: $38.94
List price: $270.95
Author: Edith Greene
The author team for WRIGHTSMAN'S PSYCHOLOGY AND THE LEGAL SYSTEM, Seventh Edition combines complementary expertise, active research, writing careers, and real world experience (as consultants working within the legal system) to produce a comprehensive text that is unparalleled in scholarship and writing style. The authorship, research base and comprehensive coverage make this text popular with instructors and students. This text demonstrates the importance of psychology to understanding the legal system and the impact on individuals' everyday lives through the use of real cases and questions formed to create discussions of these cases
|Forensic Science: An Introduction to Scientific and Investigative Techniques, Fourth Edition
Lowest new price: $56.64
Lowest used price: $62.17
List price: $89.95
Covering a range of fundamental topics essential to modern forensic investigation, the fourth edition of the landmark text Forensic Science: An Introduction to Scientific and Investigative Techniques presents contributions from experts in the field who discuss case studies from their own personal files. This edition has been thoroughly updated to reflect the cutting edge of forensic science across many different areas. Designed for a single-term course at the lower undergraduate level, the book begins by discussing the intersection of law and forensic science, how things become evidence, and how courts decide if an item or testimony should be admissible. It takes the evidence from crime scene investigation into laboratory analysis and even onto the autopsy table for the fullest breadth of subject matter of any forensic text available. Topics include
- Forensic anthropology and the role of entomology in a death investigation
- Death investigation, including identifying the cause, manner, mechanism, and time of death
- Bloodstain pattern analysis, the identification of blood and body fluids, the work of forensic toxicologists, and seized drug analysis
- The history and development of DNA typing and the many ways it can be used
- Fingerprint, firearm and ballistic, tool mark, tread impression, and trace evidence
- The forensic analysis of questioned documents and computers
- Arson, fire, explosives, and the work of forensic engineers in vehicular accidents and structural collapses
- Forensic psychology and psychiatry, including criminal profiling
- The future of forensic science
Going beyond theory to application, this text incorporates the wisdom of forensic practitioners who discuss the real cases they have investigated. Color-coded sidebars in each chapter provide historical notes, case studies, and current events as well as advice for career advancement. Each section and each chapter begins with an overview and ends with a summary, and key terms, review questions, and up-to-date references are provided. Appropriate for any sensibility, more than 300 photos from real cases give students a true-to-life learning experience.
*Access to identical eBook version included
Images from Forensic Science: An Introduction to Scientific and Investigative Techniques, Fourth Edition
Vehicle tire tread analysis.
Click here for a larger image.
Investigators at a forest crime scene.
Click here for a larger image
|Criminal Psychology: A Beginner's Guide (Beginner's Guides)
Lowest new price: $9.15
Lowest used price: $7.98
List price: $14.95
Author: Ray Bull
How does the mind of a criminal work? How can you stop criminals from re-offending? What does being in prison do to your mind? From lie detection to psychological profiling, Professor Ray Bull and his team of experts demonstrate how understanding the mind is essential in the fight against criminality. Covering prisons, police methods, and eyewitness reliability, this book provides an authoritative introduction to the fascinating research underpinning modern criminal psychology. Professor Ray Bull is Director of Postgraduate Courses in Forensic Psychology at University of Leicester, where his co-authors are all lecturers.
|Criminal Profiling, Fourth Edition: An Introduction to Behavioral Evidence Analysis
Lowest new price: $70.96
Lowest used price: $48.89
List price: $89.95
Author: Brent E. Turvey
Book annotation not available for this title.
Title: Criminal Profiling
Author: Turvey, Brent E.
Publisher: Academic Pr
Publication Date: 2011/05/10
Number of Pages: 679
Binding Type: HARDCOVER
Library of Congress: 2010053946
Now in its fourth edition, Criminal Profiling is an established text centered on the deductive profiling method developed by the author. Deductive profiling is different from other forms of profiling in that it does not involve averaged, statistical profiles. Instead it focuses on criminal profiling as an investigative process, solving real crime through an honest understanding of the nature and behavior of criminals. It approaches each criminal incident as its own universe of behaviors and relationships. Throughout the text, the author illustrates the most crucial tenet that any good criminal profiler should adhere to: the enthusiastic desire to investigate and examine the facts. Criminal Profiling is an ideal companion for students and professionals alike, including investigators, forensic scientists, criminologists, mental health professionals, and attorneys. Readers will use it as a comprehensive reference text, a handbook for evaluating physical evidence, a tool to bring new perspectives to cold cases, and as an aid in preparing for criminal trials.
- New cases in every chapter
- New chapters in logic and reasoning
- New chapter reviewing non-evidence based profiling methods
- New chapter on mass homicide
- New chapter on terrorist profiling and interviewing
- Best-selling author Brent Turvey defines the deductive profiling method, which focuses on examining the nature and behavior of criminals in order to solve crimes.
- Contributing authors represent law enforcement, academic, mental health, and forensic science communities for a balanced perspective.
- Completely revised with 35% new material including updates on the latest advances in evidence-based profiling.
Excepts from Criminal Profiling
Case Example: Blackmail
In an extortion case, the offender sent a message to the victim from a Web-based e-mail account. The Internet protocol (IP) address contained in the e-mail header showed that the message was sent from a computer located in an Internet café, but investigators were unable to determine who was using the computer at the time. Believing that the offender may have checked the Web-based e-mail account for responses to his message, investigators obtained all records relating to that account from the Internet service provider. These records indicated that the offender had indeed connected to the e-mail account from his home computer. Read the rest of the chapter "Cyberpatterns: Criminal Behavior on the Internet" [PDF] from Criminal Profiling.
|The Science of Evil: On Empathy and the Origins of Cruelty
Lowest new price: $9.36
Lowest used price: $9.92
List price: $16.99
Author: Simon Baron-Cohen
Borderline personality disorder, autism, narcissism, psychosis, Asperger's: All of these syndromes have one thing in common--lack of empathy. In some cases, this absence can be dangerous, but in others it can simply mean a different way of seeing the world.
In The Science of Evil Simon Baron-Cohen, an award-winning British researcher who has investigated psychology and autism for decades, develops a new brain-based theory of human cruelty. A true psychologist, however, he examines social and environmental factors that can erode empathy, including neglect and abuse.
Based largely on Baron-Cohen's own research, The Science of Evil will change the way we understand and treat human cruelty.
|Forensic and Legal Psychology
Lowest new price: $90.00
Lowest used price: $65.00
Author: Mark Costanzo
Brand: Brand: Worth Publishers
Using research in clinical, cognitive, developmental, and social psychology, Forensic and Legal Psychology shows how psychological science can enhance the gathering and presentation of evidence, improve legal decision-making, prevent crime, rehabilitate criminals, and promote justice. Although the emphasis is on psychological research, the textbook makes extensive use of actual cases and real trials to engage students and to illustrate the relevance of research findings. Written in a clear, student-friendly style, Forensic and Legal Psychology is designed for both the psychology and law AND forensic psychology class.
Visit the preview site for more information: www.worthpublishers.com/costanzokrausspreview
- Used Book in Good Condition
Page 1 of 118
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.