|Browse by Catagory:
Civil Rights & Liberties
War & Peace
Cajun & Creole Cooking
Caribbean & West Indian Cooking
Diabetic & Sugar-Free Cooking
Low Fat Cooking
Middle Eastern Cooking
Pacific Rim Cooking
Home & Garden
Literature & Fiction
Sheet Music & Scores
Environmental & Natural Resources Law
Ethics & Professional Responsibility
Procedures & Litigation
Water Supply & Land Use
Lawyer and Crimal Humor
Outdoors & Nature
Hiking & Camping
Hunting & Fishing
Beer & Beer Making
Health & Fitness
Diets & Weight Loss
Children's Science & Nature
Vitamins & Supplements
Psychology and Counseling
Philosophy of Psychology
Physiological Aspects of Psychology
Psychology of Sexuality
Psychology Testing & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Logic & Brain Teasers
Chaos & Systems
Geometry & Topology
Probability & Statistics
Experiments, Instruments & Measurement
Chaos & Systems
Fusion & Fission
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
Waves & Wave Mechanics
Administration & Policy
Allied Health Professions
Medical Education & Training
Endocrinology & Metabolism
Physician & Patient
Insects & Spiders
Fish & Aquariums
Mobile & Wireless Computing: Programming
Linux Kernel & Peripherals
Linux Networking & Administration
State & Local History
Sci Fi Calendars
Bujold, Lois McMaster
Card, Orson Scott
Chalker, Jack L.
Heinlein, Robert A.
McKillip, Patricia A.
Nye, Jody Lynn
|Periodic Table Basic (Quickstudy: Academic)
Lowest new price: $0.88
Lowest used price: $1.35
List price: $2.95
Author: Inc. BarCharts
Periodic table of the elements.
|Structure Determination of Organic Compounds: Tables of Spectral Data
Lowest new price: $41.80
Lowest used price: $35.99
List price: $69.95
Author: Ernö Pretsch
Brand: Brand: Springer
This succinct compilation of essential reference data for the interpretation of NMR, IR, UV/Vis, and mass spectra also provides a hands-on guide for interpreting experimental spectral data and elucidating the structure of the respective compounds behind them. This fourth edition of the highly successful and concise textbook contains about 20% new data.
- Used Book in Good Condition
|Understanding NMR Spectroscopy, Second Edition
Lowest new price: $36.44
Lowest used price: $30.00
List price: $55.00
Author: James Keeler
This text is aimed at people who have some familiarity with high-resolution NMR and who wish to deepen their understanding of how NMR experiments actually ‘work’. This revised and updated edition takes the same approach as the highly-acclaimed first edition. The text concentrates on the description of commonly-used experiments and explains in detail the theory behind how such experiments work. The quantum mechanical tools needed to analyse pulse sequences are introduced set by step, but the approach is relatively informal with the emphasis on obtaining a good understanding of how the experiments actually work. The use of two-colour printing and a new larger format improves the readability of the text. In addition, a number of new topics have been introduced:
- How product operators can be extended to describe experiments in AX2 and AX3 spin systems, thus making it possible to discuss the important APT, INEPT and DEPT experiments often used in carbon-13 NMR.
- Spin system analysis i.e. how shifts and couplings can be extracted from strongly-coupled (second-order) spectra.
- How the presence of chemically equivalent spins leads to spectral features which are somewhat unusual and possibly misleading, even at high magnetic fields.
- A discussion of chemical exchange effects has been introduced in order to help with the explanation of transverse relaxation.
- The double-quantum spectroscopy of a three-spin system is now considered in more detail.
Reviews of the First Edition
“For anyone wishing to know what really goes on in their NMR experiments, I would highly recommend this book” – Chemistry World
“…I warmly recommend for budding NMR spectroscopists, or others who wish to deepen their understanding of elementary NMR theory or theoretical tools” – Magnetic Resonance in Chemistry
|Introduction to Mass Spectrometry: Instrumentation, Applications, and Strategies for Data Interpretation
Lowest new price: $85.49
Lowest used price: $80.00
List price: $130.00
Author: J. Throck Watson
Completely revised and updated, this text provides an easy-to-read guide to the concept of mass spectrometry and demonstrates its potential and limitations. Written by internationally recognised experts and utilising "real life" examples of analyses and applications, the book presents real cases of qualitative and quantitative applications of mass spectrometry. Unlike other mass spectrometry texts, this comprehensive reference provides systematic descriptions of the various types of mass analysers and ionisation, along with corresponding strategies for interpretation of data. The book concludes with a comprehensive 3000 references.
This multi-disciplined text covers the fundamentals as well as recent advance in this topic, providing need-to-know information for researchers in many disciplines including pharmaceutical, environmental and biomedical analysis who are utilizing mass spectrometry
|Principles of Fluorescence Spectroscopy
Lowest new price: $82.36
Lowest used price: $82.32
List price: $109.00
Author: Joseph R. Lakowicz
The third edition of this established classic text reference builds upon the strengths of its very popular predecessors. Organized as a broadly useful textbook Principles of Fluorescence Spectroscopy, 3rd edition maintains its emphasis on basics, while updating the examples to include recent results from the scientific literature. The third edition includes new chapters on single molecule detection, fluorescence correlation spectroscopy, novel probes and radiative decay engineering. Includes a link to Springer Extras to download files reproducing all book artwork, for easy use in lecture slides. This is an essential volume for students, researchers, and industry professionals in biophysics, biochemistry, biotechnology, bioengineering, biology and medicine.
|Exploring Chemical Analysis
Lowest new price: $35.00
Lowest used price: $20.90
Author: Daniel C. Harris
Exploring Chemical Analysis provides an ideal one-term introduction to analytical chemistry for students whose primary interests generally lie outside of chemistry. Combining coverage of all major analytical topics with effective problem-solving methods, it teaches students how to understand analytical results and how to use quantitative manipulations, preparing them for the problems they will encounter in fields from biology to chemistry to geology.
The new edition includes new applications throughout, more emphasis on “green chemistry,” and more integration of Excel.
|Bioluminescence: Living Lights, Lights for Living
Lowest new price: $42.74
Lowest used price: $39.70
List price: $45.00
Author: Thérèse Wilson
Brand: Brand: Harvard University Press
Bioluminescence is everywhere on earth—most of all in the ocean, from angler fish in the depths to the flashing of dinoflagellates at the surface. Here, Thérèse Wilson and Woody Hastings explore the natural history, evolution, and biochemistry of the diverse array of organisms that emit light.
While some bacteria, mushrooms, and invertebrates, as well as fish, are bioluminescent, other vertebrates and plants are not. The sporadic distribution and paucity of luminous forms calls for explanation, as does the fact that unrelated groups evolved completely different biochemical pathways to luminescence. The authors explore the hypothesis that many different luciferase systems arose in the early evolution of life because of their ability to remove oxygen, which was toxic to life when it first appeared on earth. As oxygen became abundant and bioluminescence was no longer adequate for oxygen removal, other antioxidant mechanisms evolved and most luminous species became extinct. Those light-emitting species that avoided extinction evolved uses with survival value for the light itself. Today’s luminous organisms use bioluminescence for defense from predators, for their own predatory purposes, or for communication in sexual courtship.
Bioluminescence was earlier viewed as a fascinating feature of the living world, but one whose study seemed unlikely to contribute in any practical way. Today, bioluminescence is no longer an esoteric area of research. Applications are numerous, ranging from the rapid detection of microbial contamination in beef and water, to finding the location of cancer cells, to working out circuitry in the brain.
- Used Book in Good Condition
|Forensic Investigation of Explosions, Second Edition (International Forensic Science and Investigation)
Lowest new price: $132.45
Lowest used price: $146.81
List price: $164.95
Now in its second edition, Forensic Investigation of Explosions draws on the editor’s 30 years of explosives casework experience, including his work on task forces set up to investigate major explosives incidents. Dr. Alexander Beveridge provides a broad, multidisciplinary approach, assembling the contributions of internationally recognized experts who present the definitive reference work on the subject.
Topics discussed include:
- The physics and chemistry of explosives and explosions
- The detection of hidden explosives
- The effect of explosions on structures and persons
- Aircraft sabotage investigations
- Explosion scene investigations
- Casework management
- The role of forensic scientists
- Analysis of explosives and their residues
- Forensic pathology as it relates to explosives
- Presentation of expert testimony
With nearly 40 percent more material, this new edition contains revised chapters and several new topics, including:
- A profile of casework management in the UK Forensic Explosives Laboratory, one of the world’s top labs, with a discussion of their management system, training procedures, and practical approaches to problem solving
- Properties and analysis of improvised explosives
- An examination of the Bali bombings and the use of mobile analytical techniques and mobile laboratories
- The collection, analysis, and presentation of evidence in vehicle-borne improvised explosive device cases, as evidenced in attacks on US overseas targets
This volume offers valuable information to all members of prevention and post-blast teams. Each chapter was written by an expert or experts in a specific field and provides well-referenced information underlying best practices that can be used in the field, laboratory, conference room, classroom, or courtroom.
|Descriptive Inorganic, Coordination, and Solid State Chemistry
Lowest new price: $125.00
Lowest used price: $171.99
List price: $295.95
Author: Glen E. Rodgers
Brand: Brand: Cengage Learning
This proven book introduces the basics of coordination, solid-state, and descriptive main-group chemistry in a uniquely accessible manner, featuring a "less is more" approach. Consistent with the "less is more" philosophy, the book does not review topics covered in general chemistry, but rather moves directly into topics central to inorganic chemistry. Written in a conversational prose style that is enjoyable and easy to understand, this book presents not only the basic theories and methods of inorganic chemistry (in three self-standing sections), but also a great deal of the history and applications of the discipline. This edition features new art, more diversified applications, and a new icon system. And to better help readers understand how the seemingly disparate topics of the periodical table connect, the book offers revised coverage of the author's "Network of Interconnected Ideas" on new full color endpapers, as well as on a convenient tear-out card.
- SELF-CONTAINED SECTIONS. Coordination, solid state, and descriptive inorganic chemistry are presented in self-contained sections. The reader can begin in any one of these sections without becoming frustrated at references to material already learned. These self-standing chapters also allow instructors the flexibility to present material in any order.
- A FOCUS ON UNDERSTANDING THE PERIODIC TABLE. The author systematically builds a network of interconnected ideas to develop reader confidence and to forge an understanding of the periodic table.
- "THOUGHT" QUESTIONS. These questions, embedded within the body of the text, encourage students to construct and organize ideas, thought patterns, and concepts, and to go beyond merely memorizing groups of facts or trends. Students must "think" their way through the material.
- A FOCUS ON PROBLEM SOLVING. Approximately 1,000 problems challenge students to apply what they have learned to new situations and aid in building a deeper understanding of the material. In addition, a significant number of problems require short explanatory paragraphs, emphasizing the importance of writing in the discipline of chemistry.
- A HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE. A historical perspective is integrated throughout the text to give students an increased appreciation of the centuries of human endeavor that have led to our present understanding of the chemical world around us.
|Practical Guide to ICP-MS: A Tutorial for Beginners, Third Edition (Practical Spectroscopy)
Lowest new price: $85.80
Lowest used price: $88.06
List price: $99.95
Author: Robert Thomas
Written by a field insider with over 20 years experience in product development, application support, and field marketing for an ICP-MS manufacturer, the third edition of Practical Guide to ICP-MS: A Tutorial for Beginners provides an updated reference that was written specifically with the novice in mind. It presents a compelling story about ICP-MS and what it has to offer, showing this powerful ultra trace-element technique in the way it was intended—a practical solution to real-world problems.
New to the third edition:
- New chapter: Emerging ICP-MS Application Areas – covers the three most rapidly growing areas: analysis of flue gas desulfurization wastewaters, fully automated analysis of seawater samples using online chemistry procedures, and characterization of engineered nanoparticles
- Discussion of all the new technology commercialized since the second edition.
- An updated glossary of terms with more than 100 new entries
- Examination of nonstandard sampling accessories, which are important for enhancing the practical capabilities of ICP-MS
- Insight into additional applications in the environmental, clinical/biomedical, and food chemistry fields as well as new directives from the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) on determining impurities in pharmaceuticals and dietary supplements using Chapters <232>, <233> and <2232>
- Description of the most important analytical factors for selecting an ICP-MS system, taking into consideration more recent application demands
This reference describes the principles and application benefits of ICP-MS in a clear manner for laboratory managers, analytical chemists, and technicians who have limited knowledge of the technique. In addition, it offers much-needed guidance on how best to evaluate capabilities and compare with other trace element techniques when looking to purchase commercial ICP-MS instrumentation.
Page 2 of 863
CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE COMES FROM AMAZON SERVICES LLC. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED AS IS AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.